Jackie The Trainer

Helping You Reach Your Fitness Goals!

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What's in your basket?!

I had one of those I have all these ingredients and I have no idea what to make moments. We had leftover pork tenderloin from Monday, a bunch of kale, a pie pumpkin, and an eggplant. Sounds like the perfect reason to make a stew! I can't get enough pumpkin with the weather changing and to be honest, if I could, I would eat eggplant everyday!

On that note, please read my recipe below, I can't wait for dinner!

1 Onion chopped
3 heads garlic minced
*(did a 1/2-1 tsp of each, go easy and add as desired: oregano, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper)
1 eggplant, peeled and cubed (best if you soak cubes for 20+ min in salted water before cooking)
1 pie pumpkin cut, roasted and peeled (375 for 45 min, add a little olive oil to roast)
1 bunch of kale chopped with thick ribs removed
1 can of white, kidney or whatever kind of bean you want to use rinsed
28 oz can of tomatoes (i prefer whole and to chop them with kitchen scissors in stew)
6-8 oz pork tenderloin roasted and sliced (can also use chicken)
3 cups chicken broth


1. In heavy duty pot add 1 TBS olive oil, when hot saute garlic and onions until soft 8-10 min, add in spices minimally then add more later if desired
2. Add in eggplant and saute until softened-3-4 min
3. Add in pumpkin cut up, Kale, and white beans and let flavors marry while stirring 5-8 min
4. Add in tomatoes cutting while placing in pot
5. Add in meat and chicken broth
6. Continue to let simmer until desired flavors reached 15 min-2 hours...

*I'm going to top mine off with a dollop of yummy greek yogurt! Enjoy, healthy fall flavors!

No comments: